Media Review #6: TradeMe
ABOUT THE MEDIA:
TradeMe is the second largest job website in New Zealand with over 400,000 unique browsers each month. Over 61% of people who visit TradeMe jobs do not visit Seek. TradeMe is particularly effective for roles in admin, customer service, sales, transport and trades & services. TradeMe offers regular advertisers discounted ad packs which are great way to save money.
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN – WHAT ADS WE RAN:
For this review, we ran the following campaigns:
- Social Media Coordinator
- Senior Account Manager
- Recruitment Partner
Our Initial Findings:
- You can make unlimited changes to the ad during the 30 days it is live
- There is the option to load logos and images to support your branding, but the way they display is clunky
- TradeMe allows flexibility with application channels
HOW APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED:
Candidates can be directed to apply via an external link (we recommend your own dedicated careers website), or via an email address. Either way, TradeMe doesn’t hold applications in their system.
QUANTITY OF CANDIDATES RECEIVED:
- Social Media Coordinator 41% of candidates came from Trade Me
- Senior Account Manager 43% of candidates came from TradeMe
- Recruitment Partner 36% of candidates came from TradeMe
QUALITY OF CANDIDATES RECEIVED:
- Social Media Coordinator 67% of shortlisted candidates came from Trade Me
- Senior Account Manager 60% of shortlisted candidates came from TradeMe
- Recruitment Partner 23% of shortlisted candidates came from TradeMe
WHAT WE LIKED:
- TradeMe delivers both quality and quantity of applications
- There are options to add branding to your roles
- They do not hold candidates data, or force candidates to set up an account
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE:
- TradeMe doesn’t specialise, it aims to be a job board for everyone, which means it performs well for popular, common roles such as admin and trades, but doesn't perform well for senior or niche roles.
- There is no formatting options, which means you have limited options in the way the ad displays, which can make it harder to communicate your message to candidates
- There is branding but it is pretty average. Your branding displays in the same way as if you were selling an item.
As it delivers both quality and quantity of candidates, TradeMe is a great choice to add into your media strategy for certain roles. If your role is in the administration, trades, customer service category, or requires limited experience, TradeMe is a great choice. There are also cost effective options if you purchase in bulk.